MARY, MARY: Questions for Reflection
As you view the numerous contemporary images of Mary and read the poems, give thought to the following questions:
* What does Mary, the subject of this wide-ranging exhibition, mean to you as a person of faith?
* What preconceived notions of Mary are communicated through iconographic or traditional depictions of Mary?
* Which of the artworks on the gallery walls and online discomfort you, confront your expectations, or otherwise challenge your notions about or perspectives on Mary?
* What can these artworks teach us about our way(s) of seeing and believing and living our faith in community?
* How might certain of the images help us to see the divine in other human beings?
* How might racial justice be promoted through nontraditional portrayals of Mary?
* Of all the images depicted, which is your favorite? Why?
* What narratives about Mary or our views of her issue from the poems?
* How do the poems help us to better understand Mary or the events in her life?